A field of blow-wives, Achyrachaena mollis. Inks Creek, April 24, 2021 © Don Burk
Articles and Publications
Over the years, members and friends of Shasta Chapter CNPS have taken pen to paper and digit to keyboard to write about California native plant subjects dear to them. Most of these were published in the Chapter newsletter, The Firecracker. Some were also published in the Redding Record Searchlight, the vast majority of which zeroed in on one particular species or genus. Listed here for your perusal, in more or less alphabetical order, are those articles that were published outside of The Firecracker. They are as pertinent today as they were the day they were written.
Native Plant Articles
Native Plants A - B
Native Plants C - F
Native Plants G - L
Native Plants M - R
Native Plants S - Z
Shasta Chapter CNPS Region Endemic Plants
The following are scholarly papers on species endemic within Shasta Chapter CNPS boundaries, most of which were co-authored by Shasta Chapter CNPS members.
- Huiet, L., M. Lenz , J. Kierstead Nelson, K.M. Pryer, and A.R. Smith. 2015. Adiantum shastense, a new species of maidenhair fern from California. PhytoKeys 53: 73–81. https://doi.org/10.3897/phytokeys.53.5151
- Kierstead Nelson, J., and L. Linstrand III. 2015. A new species of Vaccinium (Ericaceae) from the southeastern Klamath Mountains and the Sierra Nevada, California, with two subspecies. Madroño 62(3): 167–180. https://doi.org/10.3120/madr-62-03-167-180.1
- Lindstrand III, L., and J. Kierstead Nelson. 2005. Shasta snow-wreath: new occurrences and habitat associations. Fremontia 33(2): 24–26.
- Lindstrand III, L., and J. Kierstead Nelson. 2006. Habitat, geologic, and soil characteristics of Shasta snow-wreath (Neviusia cliftonii) populations. Madroño 53(1): 65–68. https://doi.org/10.3120/0024-9637(2006)53[65:HGASCO]2.0.CO;2
- Nesom, G.L. 2013. Two new species of Erythranthe sect. Mimulosma (Phrymaceae) from California. Phytoneuron 2013 43: 1–10.
- York, D.A., J. Kierstead Nelson, and D.W. Taylor. 2015. Erythronium shastense (Liliaceae), a new species from northern California. Madroño 62(3): 158–166. https://doi.org/10.3120/madr-62-03-158-166.1
Local Area Plant Lists
Greater Redding Area/South-Central Shasta County
- Anderson River Park plant list by Barbara Peck 1-11-2013
- Churn Creek & Boulder Creek plant list by David Ledger 3-16-2013
- Clear Creek Vista Trail plant list by David Ledger 6-22-2018
- Horesetown-Clear Creek Preserve plant list by David Ledger 4-24-2016
- Millville Plains Ranch plant list by Don Burk 4-14-2013
- Sacramento River Trail plant list by David Fritchle 12-29-2009
- Salt Creek plant list by David Fritchle 6-3-2008
- Swasey Recreation Area plant list
- Wintu & Meiner’s Gulch trails plant list by David Ledger 1-26-2013