If you come across other links that should go on this page, please let us know. Placer County links would be especially welcome.
The Redbud Chapter has researched, written and published two books covering over 700 wildflowers, shrubs and trees of Nevada and Placer Counties. A second edition of our Wildflowers book was published in Spring 2017. Those can be purchased from the CNPS store using the following links: Trees and Shrubs – Wildflowers
- Our Parent Organization: The California Native Plant Society
- Our Neighboring Chapters
Local Websites of Interest
- UC Master Gardeners of Nevada County
- UC Master Gardeners of Placer County
- San Francisco State University’s summer courses at the Sierra Nevada Field Campus just up Highway 49 above Sierra Buttes and Bassetts and below Yuba Pass
- South Yuba River State Park’s Bridgeport wildflowers pages
- American Herb Association, with local author and member Kathi Keville
- Oak Woodland Management Program of the University of California’s Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources. This program is dedicated to conserving California’s 10 million acres of oak woodlands, and the website provides a wealth of information about oaks, including oak regeneration, oak woodland ecology, wildlife habitat in oak woodlands and pest management.
- Russell Towles’ pages on the North Fork of the American River— trails, geology, native wildflower gallery…
Plant Information Databases
- The official mega-source for Plant Information in California is the Jepson Interchange.
- The main photo source is CalFlora in Berkeley.
- An even larger bank of photos of living organisms is CalPhotos at UC Berkeley has more than 17,000 images of California plants as well as fungi, animals and habitats. Try, particularly, plants and fungi.
- Calscape for information about gardening with native plants.
- Native American Ethnobotany Database
- Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center in Texas
Native Plant Sources We Use for Our Plant Sales
- Canyon Creek Nursery – Oroville 530-533-2166
- Cornflower Farms – Elk Grove
- Floral Native Nursery – Chico
- Hedgerow Farms – Winters
- Shilling Seed – Auburn, 530-268-3174
Other Native Plant Sources
(See Calscape for much larger list.)
- Las Pilitas Nursery – Santa Margarita, their website has a wealth of information on gardening with California natives.
- High Ranch Nursery – Loomis
- Sierra Valley Farms – Beckwourth
- Sierra View Nursery – Loomis
- Theodore Payne Foundation – Sun Valley, excellent reference for native plants.
- Tree of Life Nursery – San Juan Capistrano
Vernal Pools Info
- www.sacsplash.org, a fifth-grade curriculum based on the Mather Field vernal pools in Sacramento County
- California Vernal Pools
Edible Native Plants
- The Living Wild Project by our member Alicia Funk
- Edible Wild Plants. Fairly exhaustive list of resources on this topic.
Southern California Native American uses of native plants
Thanks to Tom and Larry Pitts for these:
- MykoWeb: Mushrooms, Fungi, Mycology
- Mushroom Observer
- Mycology Tips
- North American Mycological Association
- Tom Volk’s Fungi
- Fungi Perfecti
- Fungi of California
- The Boletes of California
- The Mycological Society of San Francisco
- Systematic Botany & Mycology Databases