There’s something particularly enticing about a nursery or website dedicated to native plants or seeds for sale. Such sites hold the promise of beauty, ecological balance, and satisfaction to come. Here are places you can dream of, and purchase, the natives you’ve decided belong in your next project.
Redbud Chapter’s Native Plant Sales
The Redbud holds our biggest plant sale of the year in the fall, usually in early October. In recent years, we’ve sold upwards of 2000 plants! Now that we have an online store that we open during sales, we’ve been holding our sale online, with in-person pickups. We’re holding smaller plant sales occasionally throughout the year. See our plant sale page for details.
Other CNPS Chapter Sales
If you can’t find some plants you want via Redbud, note that Elderberry Farms, the nursery operated by the Sacramento chapter, has sales throughout the year. Each CNPS chapter has a fall plant sale, so you could check other chapters as well, depending on your needs and how far you’re willing to drive.
Native Plant Sources We Use for Our Plant Sales
- Cornflower Farms – Elk Grove
- Floral Native Nursery – Chico
- Hedgerow Farms – Winters
- Nevada County Native Plants – Nevada County. Specialty nursery niching in local natives, hard-to-find natives. By appointment. Participates in the CNPS program Bloom! California. Get a 10% discount!
Other Native Plant Sources
- New Life Nursery – Penn Valley. Participates in the CNPS program Bloom! California. Get a 10% discount!
- Villager Nursery – Truckee. Many nice natives; focuses on species that do well in colder locations and higher elevation; lots of cultivars.
- East Bay Wilds – Oakland. Nursery owner, Pete Veilleux, is also a landscape designer, inspired container gardener with native plants, and propagator. He also collects and sells native seeds.
- California Floral Nursery – Fulton (Sonoma County). Wide array of natives.
- Las Pilitas Nursery – Santa Margarita. Their website has a wealth of information on gardening with California natives.
- Sierra Valley Farms – Beckwourth
- Tree of Life Nursery – San Juan Capistrano
- (See Calscape for much larger list.)
Sources of Native-Plant Seeds
Klamath-Siskiyou Native Seeds – Southern Oregon (Many plants native to the Siskiyous are also native to the Sierra).
- Larner Seeds – Bolinas. Over 200 species of California wildflowers, grasses, shrubs, and trees.
- SeedHunt – Pajaro Valley (central coast)
- Sierra Seed Supply – Greenville (Plumas County). Robust selection of seeds of native wildflowers, shrubs, and trees.
- Shilling Seed – Auburn, 530-268-3174. The major source of seed we sell at our plant sales.
- Theodore Payne Foundation – Sun Valley. Seeds, plus excellent information on native wildflowers specifically and native plants in general.