Welcome to Redbud's Fall Native Plant Sale!
Our Fall native plant sale is coming October 1!
At our upcoming online sale, we’ll be offering more plants than at any sale in the past three years. Kudos to our Redbud nursery volunteers and home-growers, who have been working hard all year to propagate more than 80 native plant species; over 90 percent of these are locally native to Nevada and Placer Counties. These efforts have filled the nursery shade structure with more than 1000 plants, over 700 of which should be ready for our sale. We’ll also offer plants from select Northern California native-plant nurseries.
As we have done for the past two years, we’ll use the online Redbud store. The store will be open only October 1, not before. Read on for information about the logistics of the sale, and learn what to do if you have questions before or during the sale. We’re preparing to have high availability of the most popular species — 15 or more of each of over 20 such species.
Native Plants Are for the Birds! – Theme and Presentation
Our plant sale theme is “Native Plants Are for the Birds.” As you select plants, keep in mind the importance of native plants to birds, pollinators and other wildlife. To help you get ready for the sale and learn about a wide variety of native plants, on September 21 at 6 p.m., Redbud’s own native plant expert Nancy Gilbert will give her presentation on “Creating Bird-Friendly Landscapes.”
This online sale will be Saturday, October 1.
• 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. for CNPS members only — with access code only
• 1 p.m. to 8 p.m. for general public — no code required
Several days before the sale, we’ll send a special email to all current CNPS members who list the Redbud Chapter as one of their two chapter affiliations. This email will have the code that allows members to log into the store during the member sale. Please do not share the code with others, as this would dilute for all CNPS members the value of being able to shop early.
Once you complete your plant purchase, you’ll be prompted to sign up for a pick-up time. Pick-up times, available only via a Sign-Up.com link you’ll get during checkout, are Sunday, October 9, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Tips for Shopping the Online Redbud Store
• We have two ways you can start to build your own list of plants you want to purchase.
- — Redbud’s final plant sale list (updated September 29)
- — Redbud’s Calscape plant sale list. Just click a plant’s name to open a page on which you can learn plant characteristics — size, habit, and necessary growing conditions. You can easily name and create your own Calscape plant list (for example, “Plants to Get from Redbud Fall 2022”), then just click a + sign by the plant name to add that plant to your own list. You can also download this list, with many plant details.
We’ll update these lists as close to the plant sale as we can, so you can refine your choices before the sale.
• Before the sale, create prioritized lists based on your preferences.
• Purchase your top several preferred species first. To maximize the likelihood of getting the plants you want, use your prioritized lists to shop first for those species you most want. Check out and purchase those, then start a new cart and continue shopping. It’s best to choose and check out early if there are only a few plants available of a species you really want. If you have a long list, be ready to check out multiple times.
• Remember, having a plant in your cart does not reserve that plant for you; it can be purchased by another customer who checks out before you do. Ordering your top-priority plants first can avoid having a species sell out while it’s in your cart.
• Your orders will be combined for pick-up, so you’ll need only one appointment.
Make Sure Your Membership is Current
To shop as a CNPS member (8 a.m. to 1 p.m.), you must be a current member. If you want this option but haven’t joined yet or your membership will expire before October 1, join/renew right away. Forward your membership receipt to email@example.com, by September 23 at the latest. Please include your name and phone number in your email, and let us know if this is a new membership or a renewal.
• CNPS members using the members-only code can shop the Redbud store between 8 a.m. and 1 p.m. on Saturday, October 1. Orders are processed in the sequence received. The goal is to ensure fairness to all to the best of our ability. Based on past online sales we’ve held, site traffic generally slows down substantially after the first two to three hours.
• Prioritizing and splitting your order into multiple transactions gives you a better chance of getting the plants you want, and reduces the chance that someone else will check out before you do and buy plants you have in your cart.
• You’ll pay for your order, via credit card only, at the time of sale.
• As soon as you complete your purchase, you’ll see the link where you should reserve a time to pick up your plants on October 9; you need to do this only for your first purchase. When you reserve your time, you will be provided with the address where you’ll pick up your plants.
Sale to General Public
Our sale to the general public is 1 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Saturday, October 1. Most of the same directions apply as to the members-only sale.
• We’ll process orders in the sequence received. Please do not ask for exceptions.
• Plants in your cart aren’t reserved for you; they can be purchased by other customers who check out and pay before you do.
• You pay for your order, via credit card only, at the time of sale.
• As soon as you complete your purchase, you’ll see the link where you should reserve a time to pick up your plants October 9; you need to do this only for your first purchase. When you reserve your time, you’ll be provided with the address where you’ll pick up your plants.
As previously mentioned, plant pick-ups are Sunday, October 9, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. (Depending on the number of orders, we may add additional times.) You must sign up for a time slot to pick up your plants; once you check out with your purchases, you’ll get a link to sign up. Once you schedule an appointment for your first purchase, you don’t need to do this again. If you show up for your plants without an appointment, they won’t be ready, and you’ll disrupt the schedule for all!
If you have trouble with the sign-up process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, phone number and available times. The pick-up site is near Bennett and Brunswick in Grass Valley; you’ll get the address when you choose a pick-up time. Customers are encouraged but not required to wear a mask.
Enjoy shopping for plants!
Overview of Plant Sale
When the sale begins, we'll open our online Redbud store, where you will be able to see plant photos and find information about each species for sale, including cultivation requirements. Before the store opens, you can find info and photos on Redbud's Calscape plant sale list.